Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Loyalty Test

So lastnight FSBA was kind enough to air the first baseball game of the year. Now granted, it's only Spring Training & of course it doesn't count, but for me, this was a crucial game. Since declaring my love for the Giants in January, this was my first test of loyalty as they were hosting the A's. In case you were wondering, it's mighty hard to watch your old team beat up on your new team! Kinda like running into you ex & finding out that he's way better off without you. Not that I really had to watch that part much, the game was actually tied the majority of it. And they distracted me for several innings while interviewing my Zito Love since they didn't have him pitch against his former buddies.

Baseball already feels so different as a G's fan. I'm so interested in learning the history of the team that I seriously paid attention to all the public servicey feeling historical accounts of how the Giants came to train in Arizona. Really cool stuff went on way back then. At one point, they actually traded training facilities with the Yankees cause the owner of the G's had a place in Casa Grande!

The next sweetest thing about last night’s broadcast was that they mic'ed up Tim Flannery while he was coaching 3rd base. Now lemme tell ya, this dude gives new depth to the word cool. First of, he used to be a broadcaster so his voice is sexy as hell. Course that might be because he also sings & plays guitar. He brings his acoustic axe on the road & writes songs about baseball. He's recorded 8 CD's already & I need to get a hold of them. (Anyone knows where I can find 'em lemme know!) Anyway, he let us all a bit closer to seeing the other side of baseball with the way he was telling the viewers about what he was thinking as & before things happened. He was talking about who the best base runners have been so far in camp & who he trusts to follow his signs & who doesn't even need to be told. He talked about his teaching style & how he's reaching out to the new kids, trying to help them get their careers off to a great start, regardless of whether they make the team this year or not. He sounded brilliant, & before I say I've found a perfect replacement in my baseball heart for Ron Washington, I won't cause I have the same feeling that he'll be leaving for a bigger gig sooner than later.

Oh & did I mention he's rather easy on the eyes ;->


PS - I was super ticked that the A's won, so I'm giving myself an B+ for my first test since I was totally digging Nicky Swisher's hair & falling in love with the A's new sidewinder.

No comments: